ABOUT OUR CLIENT
Our client is one of Canada’s Top 10 Credit Unions with over 600 employees, 36 branches and 185,000 members. They were founded over 100 years ago and currently have $10 billion in assets under management.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Manager, Total Rewards reports directly to the Vice President, Human Resources and is accountable for the following:
- Design and implement the total reward strategy, policies, and programs
- Manage the compensation, benefits, and pension portfolios
- HRIS system, reporting and analytics
- Pension administration including regulatory reporting, committee meetings and minutes
- Leads a team of two direct reports
- Can be base either in Toronto or Ottawa, with a hybrid work arrangement
The Manager, Total Rewards has an impact across the organization and, as such, works with all levels of the organization to ensure Total Rewards practices support a high performing culture and encourage practices that align with our value proposition and support the attraction and retention of a highly engaged workforce. The incumbent is accountable for the integrity of all employee data and related systems / tools, in addition to the development and improvement of an HR measurement strategy and monitoring of key relevant indicators. They will lead a team of HR specialists and be accountable for their effective management and ongoing professional development.
1. Develops and Implements Fixed and Variable Direct Compensation Programs, Policies and Procedures as well as Competitive Practices to Attract, Retain and Motivate Employees
- Develops, improves, and monitors corporate fixed and variable direct compensation programs for regular salaried, hourly, management and executive staff, specific to base pay variable and sales compensation plans.
- Counsels management on pay decisions, compensation practices, and policy and guideline interpretation. Influences decision-making process and final outcome by providing detailed analysis / models, innovative recommendations, and expert advice to management and HR business partners.
- Reviews proposed salary changes outside of policy / practice for conformance to established guidelines and to ensure internal and external equity.
- Monitors and reports on the effectiveness of compensation policies and practices and programs.
- Manages the annual salary planning process (Merit Award Program), including recommendations for salary increase budget, etc.
- Tracks compensation practices and recommends changes where necessary, oversees the participation in compensation surveys and recommends salary scale adjustments, as required to maintain targeted market competitiveness.
- Develops and rolls out employee and management communications related to compensation programs.
2. Design, Implements and Oversees the Administration of Benefit and Pension Programs
- Manages and participates in complex analysis related to the development, implementation, and administration of benefits programs.
- Analyze new and emerging benefits designed to meet the needs of a changing workforce, such as parental leave, child and elder care, long-term nursing home care insurance, employee assistance, wellness programs and flexible benefit plans.
- Oversees administration of Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution pension plans, resolving complex transactions and inquiries.
- Coordinates cyclical Pension Management and Advisory Committee meetings.
- Conducts analysis related to the development, implementation, and administration of benefits programs.
- Supports outside actuaries for the annual valuation.
- Monitors and reports on the effectiveness of benefit programs on a quarterly basis.
- Oversees the management of disability files and ensures effective processes and strategies are used to ensure healthy employees return to work as soon as possible.
- Develops and manages an integrated Total Wellness program designed to reduce absenteeism, disability occurrences and promote/maintain a healthy lifestyle and thereby workforce.
3. Oversee HRIS Data Management and Reporting
- Develops and continuously improves the HR measurement strategy (key metrics) and produces regular management reports, including analysis and ‘points to note’ for use in strategic and operational planning.
- Ensures the integrity of data within the human resource information system (HRIS), overseeing its effectiveness and continuous improvement.
- Continuously improve traffic to MyHR and ease of use for managers and staff.
4. Manages and Ensures the Integrity of Job Evaluation System and Program
- Provides direction and oversight to the Job Evaluation program.
- Ensures that all jobs in have current job descriptions, are appropriately rated and the overall evaluation book remains current.
- Develops a team of evaluators who collectively provide checks and balances within the system.
- Reports annually on the status of the program.
5. Team Leadership and Management
- Manages and coaches HR Specialists in the timely and effective execution of their duties.
- Reallocates resources and/or responsibilities as needed to provide a consistently high level of service and expertise.
- Contributes to key organizational strategic initiatives as assigned.
- Participates as a member of the HR Leadership team.
- Provides input to HR strategies, policies, and programs outside of responsibility areas.
- Leads through influence and expertise to build effective relationships with business partners and all members of the HR Department.
- Acts as delegate for the Head, Human Resources when assigned.
- Maintains an external network of contacts which support continual benchmarking of policies and practices.
- Identifies and manages external consultants toward the successful delivery of products and services.
- Prepares business cases in support of strategic initiatives and/or major purchases Participates in managing and renewing third party service contracts in the areas of compensation and benefits.
- Ensures internal documentation (manager’s guides, forms, etc.) are relevant and current and easily accessible by all applicable staff.
- Assist with Federated model initiatives, as requested, with regards to compensation benefits, pension and HRIS.
1. Education, Certification, and Experience
- Post-secondary graduate in a related field and/or equivalent work experience
- Relevant designations such as CEBS, CCP, CHRP, CHRL
- 10 to 15 years of experience in a similar role and level with exposure to other HR disciplines
- Experience in financial services an asset
2. Knowledge and Skills
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated ability to identify trends and draw conclusions from data analysis and communicate results to individuals at various organizational levels
- Demonstrated organization and project management skills, including budget management and diligent attention to details
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Demonstrated success in managing, coaching, mentoring, and leading staff and managing one or more Total Reward functions
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally
- Knowledge and application of employment legislation, compensation and benefits best practices
- Proficient in Excel
HOW TO APPLY
To express interest in this exciting opportunity, please contact:
Gord Brandt, Senior Consultant